In this article we are going to see various commands and comments which I have gathered through my experience with Windows. Surely, you may know several commands on Windows, however many people may not know all of them.
The commands that we are going to see here are based on Windows XP the most commonly used today. Also, we are going to see how to make windows command prompt more friendly.
Basic Tips on Making Windows Command Prompt Friendly
When you open a session of it (Start >> Run >> cmd), by right-clicking the title bar, you can easily set default options for it. Selecting the “Properties” Menu will pop-up the title bar to set options which will be valid for all Windows prompt.
In the tab “Options” you may choose your cursor size, number of items in the command history and editing modes, including mode off “Insert” which by default eats the letters when you type on others.
In tab “Source”, it does not needfully define the source (it supports few, the”raster fonts”), simply the number of rows and columns of the window.
You can click the tab “Layout” and choose the default position of the window (ie. fixed distance from left and top of your screen) and the tab “Colors” to change the colors of black background.
Following are few shortcuts and commands that can be used:
1. Press [ALT] Left + [ENTER]: It is used to switch between full screen and window. Also applies to programs that open full screen in the simulation environment from MS-DOS, such as many games and control programs. In this case, usually the window will be minimized, showing the desktop, and the program paused. When the windows is minimized, the simulation program in MS-DOS is not being processed, for example, a game of any other program that is minimized will be paused until the window is active.
2. File names with spaces: Never forget to enter them in quotes. The spaces are the separators of parameters to pass file names without quotation marks to point to the computer means that the shares after the new space are parameters, and not a continuation of the file name you enter.
3. In order to copy text in command prompt, you need to right-click in the window and select “Mark”. Once you select the “Mark” option, drag the mouse normally, but do take care that it selects a block of characters and not in line as usually you do in a text editor. Being with selected text, simply right-click the window again or you may press ENTER button on your keyboard. The selection will get cleared the text will be copied. Now in order to paste the text, you need to right-click and select the “Paste” option.
4. It’s a very silly tip, but worth comment. If you wish to copy everything, you may right-click and choose “Select All” option. If you want to clear out the window, simply enter “cls” command to clear the past performance on the screen.
5. Without using a mouse the Options can also be accessed through the Control menu. Just press [ALT] Left + [SPACE] and use the arrow keys on your keyboard to access the options or copy text. It is very useful when running Windows in order insurance if you have a serial mouse, since it does not load the device in safe mode.
6. To view the information about a particular command, simply enter the command: help [commandname]. Remove the brackets before entering the commands. Another way to retrieve the info about a command is to enter the command: “commandname/?”. It applies to most of the programs but not all of them.
7. If a particular command is about to complete, you can force it to stop by typing [CTRL] + [C] in the command prompt. Be cautious while using this command, as it may compromise the system or user data.
Reasons why you must trust ASPHostPortal.com
Every provider will tell you how they treat their support, uptime, expertise, guarantees, etc., are. Take a close look. What they’re really offering you is nothing close to what ASPHostPortal does. You will be treated with respect and provided the courtesy and service you would expect from a world-class web hosting business.
You’ll have highly trained, skilled professional technical support people ready, willing, and wanting to help you 24 hours a day. Your web hosting account servers are monitored from three monitoring points, with two alert points, every minute, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. The followings are the list of other added- benefits you can find when hosting with us:
- DELL Hardware
Dell hardware is engineered to keep critical enterprise applications running around the clock with clustered solutions fully tested and certified by Dell and other leading operating system and application providers.
- Recovery Systems
Recovery becomes easy and seamless with our fully managed backup services. We monitor your server to ensure your data is properly backed up and recoverable so when the time comes, you can easily repair or recover your data.
- Control Panel
We provide one of the most comprehensive customer control panels available. Providing maximum control and ease of use, our Control Panel serves as the central management point for your ASPHostPortal account. You’ll use a flexible, powerful hosting control panel that will give you direct control over your web hosting account. Our control panel and systems configuration is fully automated and this means your settings are configured automatically and instantly.
- Excellent Expertise in Technology
The reason we can provide you with a great amount of power, flexibility, and simplicity at such a discounted price is due to incredible efficiencies within our business. We have not just been providing hosting for many clients for years, we have also been researching, developing, and innovating every aspect of our operations, systems, procedures, strategy, management, and teams. Our operations are based on a continual improvement program where we review thousands of systems, operational and management metrics in real-time, to fine-tune every aspect of our operation and activities. We continually train and retrain all people in our teams. We provide all people in our teams with the time, space, and inspiration to research, understand, and explore the Internet in search of greater knowledge. We do this while providing you with the best hosting services for the lowest possible price.
- Data Center
ASPHostPortal modular Tier-3 data center was specifically designed to be a world-class web hosting facility totally dedicated to uncompromised performance and security
- Monitoring Services
From the moment your server is connected to our network it is monitored for connectivity, disk, memory and CPU utilization – as well as hardware failures. Our engineers are alerted to potential issues before they become critical.
ASPHostPortal has architected its network like no other hosting company. Every facet of our network infrastructure scales to gigabit speeds with no single point of failure.
Network security and the security of your server are ASPHostPortal’s top priorities. Our security team is constantly monitoring the entire network for unusual or suspicious behavior so that when it is detected we can address the issue before our network or your server is affected.
- Support Services
Engineers staff our data center 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to manage the network infrastructure and oversee top-of-the-line servers that host our clients’ critical sites and services.