Managing a static website can be a challenging task. To change a simple text in a static website you may have to make the changes locally and then upload the new files to your hosting account. On the other hand, a Joomla based website has all the flexibility a CMS application provides. This is why many people consider converting their static websites to Joomla.
The conversion process can be divided into two parts - adding your actual data and recreating the design of your website.
You should begin with adding your data first because later it will be much easier to make your design with the real information on your pages.
Adding your data consists of two main steps - creating your pages and creating your menus.
Let's start with the creation of your Main Menu and a Home item that will show the content of your front page.
- Step 1. Log in to your Joomla administrative area and click on the "Menu Manager" button to start the creation of your first menu.
- Step 2. Click on the "New" button to create a new menu.
- Step 3. On the next page set the title and description of your menu. You have to specify a unique name for the menu. You will later use this name to assign modules to it.
- Step 4. Now you have to add items to your menu. Click on the "New" button at the top-right part of the page.
- Step 5. In the next screen you will be asked to select the menu item's type. Since this item will show your front page, expand the "Articles" category and click on the "Front Page Blog Layout" item type.
- Step 6. Type "Home" in the title field. This text will appear on the menu link that will be shown on your website. You can always come back to the Menu Manager and rename the menu item.
- Step 7. Click on the "Save" button at the top-right part of the page.
- Step 8. The next step is to set this menu item as default. This means that when someone opens your website this will be the first page that will load. If you do not have a default item, Joomla will return a "404 Component not found" error.
You have to click on the checkbox next to your menu item and then press the "Default" button.
- Step 9. The creation of your menu is complete. You should now add a module to your website that will display your menu. To do this ,go to Extensions -> Module Manager and press the "New" button at the top of the page.
- Step 10. Choose "Menu" for module type and click "Next".
- Step 11. On the next page select a name for the module and set it to "Enabled".
- Step 12. Select the position where the module should be displayed.
- Step 13. Click on the "Save" button at the top-right part of the page.
You are now ready with the creation of your main menu and the first item in it. Once you have done that, you can add more items to your Main menu from the Menu Manager. You can check the different menu item types in order to see the differences in the way they visualize your content.
- Step 14. You should now add your content to the new site. You can look at each page of your static website as a Joomla article.
Looking for affordable Joomla hosting? Visit ASPHostPortal for further information.
Reasons why you must trust ASPHostPortal.com
Every provider will tell you how they treat their support, uptime, expertise, guarantees, etc., are. Take a close look. What they're really offering you is nothing close to what ASPHostPortal does. You will be treated with respect and provided the courtesy and service you would expect from a world-class web hosting business.
You’ll have highly trained, skilled professional technical support people ready, willing, and wanting to help you 24 hours a day. Your web hosting account servers are monitored from three monitoring points, with two alert points, every minute, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. The followings are the list of other added- benefits you can find when hosting with us:
- DELL Hardware
Dell hardware is engineered to keep critical enterprise applications running around the clock with clustered solutions fully tested and certified by Dell and other leading operating system and application providers.
- Recovery Systems
Recovery becomes easy and seamless with our fully managed backup services. We monitor your server to ensure your data is properly backed up and recoverable so when the time comes, you can easily repair or recover your data.
- Control Panel
We provide one of the most comprehensive customer control panels available. Providing maximum control and ease of use, our Control Panel serves as the central management point for your ASPHostPortal account. You’ll use a flexible, powerful hosting control panel that will give you direct control over your web hosting account. Our control panel and systems configuration is fully automated and this means your settings are configured automatically and instantly.
- Excellent Expertise in Technology
The reason we can provide you with a great amount of power, flexibility, and simplicity at such a discounted price is due to incredible efficiencies within our business. We have not just been providing hosting for many clients for years, we have also been researching, developing, and innovating every aspect of our operations, systems, procedures, strategy, management, and teams. Our operations are based on a continual improvement program where we review thousands of systems, operational and management metrics in real-time, to fine-tune every aspect of our operation and activities. We continually train and retrain all people in our teams. We provide all people in our teams with the time, space, and inspiration to research, understand, and explore the Internet in search of greater knowledge. We do this while providing you with the best hosting services for the lowest possible price.
- Data Center
ASPHostPortal modular Tier-3 data center was specifically designed to be a world-class web hosting facility totally dedicated to uncompromised performance and security
- Monitoring Services
From the moment your server is connected to our network it is monitored for connectivity, disk, memory and CPU utilization - as well as hardware failures. Our engineers are alerted to potential issues before they become critical.
ASPHostPortal has architected its network like no other hosting company. Every facet of our network infrastructure scales to gigabit speeds with no single point of failure.
Network security and the security of your server are ASPHostPortal's top priorities. Our security team is constantly monitoring the entire network for unusual or suspicious behavior so that when it is detected we can address the issue before our network or your server is affected.
- Support Services
Engineers staff our data center 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to manage the network infrastructure and oversee top-of-the-line servers that host our clients' critical sites and services.