November 21, 2016 10:35 by Dan
According to winscpdotnet website, Recently, Microsoft has released an early version of OpenSSH for Windows. You can use the package to set up an SFTP/SSH server on Windows.
Installing SFTP/SSH Server
- Download the latest OpenSSH for Windows binaries (package OpenSSH-Win32.zip)
- Extract the package to a convenient location (we will use C:\openssh in this guide)
- As the Administrator, install SSHD and ssh-agent services:
- powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File install-sshd.ps1
- Generate server keys by running the following commands from the C:\openssh:
- Open a port for the SSH server in Windows Firewall:
- Either run the following PowerShell command (Windows 8 and 2012 or newer only), as the Administrator:
New-NetFirewallRule -Protocol TCP -LocalPort 22 -Direction Inbound -Action Allow -DisplayName SSH
- or go to Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Firewall > Advanced Settings > Inbound Rules and add a new rule for port 22.
- To allow a public key authentication, as an Administrator, from C:\openssh, run:
powershell.exe -ExecutionPolicy Bypass -File install-sshlsa.ps1
and restart the machine
- In C:\openssh\sshd_config locate a Subsystem sftp directive and change the path to sftp-server to its Windows location:
- Subsystem sftp C:\openssh\sftp-server.exe
- Start the service and/or configure automatic start:
- Go to Control Panel > System and Security > Administrative Tools and open Services. Locate SSHD service.
- If you want the server to start automatically when your machine is started: Go to Action > Properties. In the Properties dialog, change Startup type to Automatic and confirm.
- Start the SSHD service by clicking the Start the service.
These instructions are partially based on the official deployment instructions.
Setting up SSH public key authentication
Follow a generic guide for Setting up SSH public key authentication in *nix OpenSSH server, with following differences:
- Create the .ssh folder (for the authorized_keys file) in your Windows account profile folder (typically in C:\Users\username\.ssh).
- Do not change permissions for the .ssh and the authorized_keys.
Connecting to the server
Before the first connection, find out fingerprint of the server’s RSA key by running ssh-keygen.exe -l -f ssh_host_rsa_key -E md5 from the C:\openssh:
C:\openssh>ssh-keygen.exe -l -f ssh_host_rsa_key -E md5
2048 MD5:94:93:fe:cc:c5:7d:d8:2a:33:21:0e:f3:91:11:8a:d9 [email protected] (RSA)
Start WinSCP. Login dialog will appear. On the dialog:
- Make sure New site node is selected.
- On New site node, make sure the SFTP protocol is selected.
- Enter your machine/server IP address (or a hostname) into the Host name box.
- Enter your Windows account name to the User name box. It might have to be entered in the format [email protected], if running on a domain.
- For a public key authentication:
- Press the Advanced button to open Advanced site settings dialog and go to SSH > Authentication page.
- In Private key file box select your private key file.
- Submit Advanced site settings dialog with the OK button.
- For a password authentication:
- Enter your Windows account password to the Password box.
- If you Windows account does not have a password, you cannot authenticate with the password authentication (i.e. with an empty password), you need to use the public key authentication.
- Save your site settings using the Save button.
- Login using Login button.
- Verify the host key by comparing fingerprint with the one collected before (see above).
Best Windows Server 2016 Hosting Recommendation
ASPHostPortal.com provides our customers with Plesk Panel, one of the most popular and stable control panels for Windows hosting, as free. You could also see the latest .NET framework, a crazy amount of functionality as well as Large disk space, bandwidth, MSSQL databases and more. All those give people the convenience to build up a powerful site in Windows server 2016. We offers Windows hosting starts from $5/month only. We also guarantees 30 days money back and guarantee 99.9% uptime. If you need a reliable affordable Windows server 2016 Hosting, we should be your best choice.